By Dr. Deepti Ghia ,M.D.
Consultant Dermatologist, Trichologist, Dermatosurgeon (All Doctors Clinic and Kaya Skin Clinic)
Myth: Laser hair removal exposes you to harmful radiation.
- Fact: Laser stands for light amplification by stimulated emission of radiation, however laser machines emits light and the radiation is in the machine, which does not exit that space.
Myth: Permanent hair reduction can be achieved in one session.
- Fact: Hair has different cycles and will grow at different times, so it can’t be targeted at once. The best way is to let them grow and target them by laser. This can be done over time.
Myth: Laser hair removal works the same for all individuals.
- Fact: Results vary by hair color, skin type and person.
Myth: Laser hair removal can cause more hair to grow.
- Fact: Our bodies change as we age. Laser only destroys hair follicles but cannot cause increase in hair growth.Hormonal changes and menopause may cause growth of thick coarse hair.
Myth: Hair removal lasers are unsafe and cause Cancer
- Fact: Studies have shown that lasers approved by USFDA are safe to use.